The focus is on transforming geospatial data into relevant information through acquisition, processing, characterization, analysis, and modeling in order to understand geographic patterns, processes, and relationships at scales ranging from landscapes to the globe.
To achieve these aims, the geospatial sciences integrate the geographic disciplines of cartography, geodesy, geographic information systems, and remote sensing with elements of mathematics, statistics, the natural sciences, the social sciences, and engineering.
The resulting array of geospatial concepts, methods, technologies, and datasets are used to address a wide range of pertinent questions about the functioning of the biosphere and its implications for sustainability of natural resources, agricultural productivity, biodiversity, environmental quality, and human welfare in a rapidly-changing world.
Current faculty research interests include quantitative remote sensing, land cover and land use change, geography, climate change, and fire science as well as applications of geospatial technologies in agriculture, meteorology, natural resource management, and other fields.
The Geospatial Science and Engineering - Remote Sensing Specialization programme at South Dakota State University seeks highly motivated students with strong backgrounds in the geospatial sciences or a closely-related field to complement these efforts.
- Remote sensing specialist
- GIS specialist
- Federal employee
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Evolution of Geographic Thought
- Dissertation PhD (COM)
- Specialization Coursework
- Supporting Electives
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
- 60 Credit Plan
- 90 Credit Plan
DisciplinesGeography Geographical Information Systems (GIS) General Engineering & Technology View 10 other Masters in Geographical Information Systems (GIS) in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The application must include the application fee, all post-secondary transcripts, degree certificates, and other materials as required by specific programs before processing of the application will begin. The Graduate School employs a rolling deadline, however, students should check with their program of interest for specific admission deadlines.
- Applicants for the Doctor of Philosophy degree, 60-credit plan, must have a Master’s degree. This degree must be awarded from an approved, accredited institution. In those cases where applicants do not have a Master’s degree, departmental requirements will apply, either requiring completion of a Master’s degree or permitting an individual to move directly into a doctoral program, 90-credit plan. Domestic, international or non-degree seeking students may submit an application online.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International648 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 648 USD per credit during 36 months.
National648 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 648 USD per credit during 36 months.
In-State337 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 337 USD per credit during 36 months.
Living costs for Brookings
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.