The Biochemical Engineering and Bioprocess Leadership EngD programme from University College London (UCL) from will equip graduates with the necessary research skills and commercial and regulatory insights to progress rapidly to leadership positions across the global bioindustry.
Our graduate programmes are internationally recognised and draw on advances in life sciences and the core discipline of biochemical engineering. We maintain close teaching and research links with other highly rated UCL departments and with experts from other departments throughout the UK and overseas, and are also involved in close collaborations with industry.
This vibrant department leads in the field and offers an exciting graduate training and research environment. Independent assessments confirm the excellence and breadth of the department’s taught programmes (IChemE accredited) and place our research programmes at the forefront of international endeavours.
Excellent and diverse career paths are available for you. Well over one hundred EngD researchers have graduated to date with 97% progressing to relevant bioindustry careers. Many now hold distinguished and senior positions in the bio/pharmaceutical, chemical, cell therapy and personal care product sectors.
The majority are engaged in bioprocess research and development, equipment and software design and manufacturing. Others have followed management and investment careers in the biotechnology field or have established independent academic careers in universities around the world.
The programme consists of seven core modules that address research and professional skills specific to the sector:
- Design of Experiments and Bioprocess Data Mining
- Biomolecular and Cellular Analysis
- Pilot Plant Project
- Pilot Plant Unit Operations
- Responsible Innovation (RI) in Healthcare
- Transferable Skills in Bioprocess Research and Development
- Research Skills
- There is also a major research project element that provides the basis for year one assessment and progression. The research project is closely related to the cutting-edge research carried out in the department and is performed in collaboration with the industrial sponsor.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Management, Organisation & Leadership General Engineering & Technology View 92 other PhDs in General Engineering & Technology in United Kingdom
- A minimum of an upper second-class UK Bachelor’s degree, or a UK Master's degree, in life or physical sciences or engineering, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard. Relevant industrial experience can also be considered.
- If you are intending to apply for a time-limited visa to complete your UCL studies (e.g., Student visa, Skilled worker visa, PBS dependant visa etc.) you may be required to obtain ATAS clearance. This will be confirmed to you if you obtain an offer of a place.
International25960 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25960 GBP per year during 48 months.
National5690 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5690 GBP per year during 48 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.