To this end, we collaborate widely with various academic and industrial research groups and are partners in the Centre for Process Systems Engineering, UCL CoMPLEX and the UCL Materials Chemistry Centre. The Chemical Engineering MPhil/PhD programme is offered by University College London (UCL).
Research is a core activity in the department, and it covers a broad range of scales from the molecular to the complex systems level. Our work is organised in three research groups: Catalysis & Reaction Engineering, Multiphase Systems and Product& Process Systems Engineering addressing challenges in three research areas: Energy & CO2, Sustainable Advanced Manufacturing and Health & Environment.
Recent graduates have secured positions in a wide range of industries, from engineering to finance. Examples of organisations include: Shell Exploration and Production, AMEC, Petrofac, Sun Chemicals, M W Kellogg, Procter and Gamble, Barclays Bank, UBS and HSBC. Others have gone on to lecture at UCL.
Chemical engineering offers great potential for bringing quantitative understanding to the service of the chemical industry. Chemical industry alone is one of the UK's largest manufacturing industries and number one exporter.
The skills achieved by our students not only make them employable in the major chemical, petrochemical, pharmaceutical, food and energy industries, but are also transferable to other sectors including environmental technology, biotechnology and even management and finance.
Our graduates have been employed in major industries such as GSK, Unilever, Procter and Gamble, Shell, Amec, Tate & Lyle Sugar, as well as continuing successfully in academia.
Programme StructureResearch areas:
- Chemical and catalytic reaction engineering
- Product and process systems engineering
- Multiphase systems
- Catalysis, photo catalysis and electro catalysis
- Cement chemistry and processing
- CFD modelling of multiphase flows
- Computational catalysis
- 36 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
DisciplinesChemical Engineering Materials Science & Engineering Chemistry View 18 other PhDs in Chemical Engineering in United Kingdom
- A UK Master’s degree in a relevant discipline with Meerit, or a minimum of an upper second-class MEng degree from a UK university, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard.
- If you are intending to apply for a time-limited visa to complete your UCL studies (e.g., Student visa, Skilled worker visa, PBS dependant visa etc.) you may be required to obtain ATAS clearance. This will be confirmed to you if you obtain an offer of a place.
International25960 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25960 GBP per year during 36 months.
National5690 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5690 GBP per year during 36 months.
Part-time tuition fee:
- UK: £2,845/year
- Overseas: £13,280/year
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.