The department has wide-ranging links with science and technology industries offering excellent prospects for employability.
The Chemistry programme from University College London (UCL) offers a broad range of research themes across physical, organic, inorganic and computational chemistry, specific departmental strengths are listed under research areas below.
Recent UCL Chemistry PhD graduates have become postdoctoral researchers at a range of institutions in the UK and abroad, including ETH Zurich and Princeton, amongst others. Other PhD graduates have followed a wide range of careers, becoming research chemists, secondary school science teachers, working in finance and publishing and becoming technical consultants.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureResearch areas
- Biocatalysis and synthetic biology
- Chemical biology and drug discovery
- Chemical modification and synthesis of proteins and complex peptides
- Chemical sensors and gas-phase electrochemistry
- Chemistry in interstellar space
- Computational chemistry, from materials simulations to quantum dynamics
- Computational chemistry - biomolecular simulations and drug design
- Development of chemical probes for biological systems
- Development of synthetic methodology for organic synthesis
- Gas-phase reactions of ions and molecules related to atmospheric chemistry
- Industrial materials
- New synthetic methods for inorganic materials
- Thin film growth and analysis
- Surface solid-state science
- Ultrafast molecular dynamics and coherent control.
- 36 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Students are advised to apply as early as possible due to competition for places.
DisciplinesChemical Engineering Chemistry View 54 other Masters in Chemistry in United Kingdom
- A UK Master’s degree in Chemistry, or an MSci or MChem with upper second-class Honours, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard.
International24250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24250 GBP per year during 36 months.
Overseas: £12,120 (PT)
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.