There is a full programme of research seminars (at which papers are given by invited speakers and graduate students), a research methods workshops, and career development events.
Several students from the department have participated as visiting scholars at Yale as part of the UCL-Yale Collaborative Partnership.
Students in this English programme from University College London (UCL) have automatic access to an incomparable range of archives and libraries, including Senate House Library and the British Library, both of which are nearby.Please note that all doctoral students at UCL are considered to be on an MPhil programme until they ‘upgrade’ to PhD status in the second year of their studies. The English department does not offer a standalone research master's programme and nor is it possible to be admitted as a PhD student directly.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureResearch areas:
- Old and Middle English literature and manuscript studies
- Relations between English and insular and continental French writings from the thirteenth to the fifteenth centuries
- Post-medieval bibliography and palaeography
- History of the book, textual and editorial theory and practice in all periods
- Shakespeare studies, including Shakespeare’s London
- The literature of the Elizabethan court
- Women writers of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries
- Classicism in seventeenth and eighteenth-century literary culture
- Literature and science in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries
- Revolutionary Writings in the Romantic period
- Homosexuality and literary history
- Literature and technology in late nineteenth and early twentieth-century literature
- Victorian and Edwardian writings on sexuality and adolescence
- Contemporary poetry
- 36 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 94 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- An undergraduate degree in English Literature or a related subject is a pre-requisite for this programme, and a UK Master's degree in a relevant discipline, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard will normally be required.
- Research degree students are expected to start in September, but may request to start in January if there are exceptional reasons to do so.
International21580 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 21580 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
Overseas: £10,860 (PT)
AHRC grants are available for UK/EU English PhD applicants who are applying to start a research degree.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.