You are supported to learn new skills and broaden your professional networks through exposure to multidisciplinary teams of world-leading academics. The Epidemiology and Public Health programme from University College London (UCL) is based within the Institute of Epidemiology and Health Care (IEHC).
The Institute of Epidemiology and Health Care brings together four research departments whose interests span the life course from childhood to old age, and research from the origins of disease to the development of innovative interventions.
The diversity of expertise in the institute ensures that it provides a vibrant environment in which to develop skills, supporting careers in a wide range of national and international settings.
The broad objectives are:
- understanding the determinants of health and disease in populations and in patients in clinical settings
- evaluating strategies for preventing and treating illness
- carrying out innovative work on behaviour change and on the practice of primary care
- developing and implementing new technologies in population health
- applied health and health policy research
CareersStudents graduating in the last three years have secured employment in local and central government, NHS Trusts and hospitals, clinical trial units and Public Health England (previously known as the Health Protection Agency), as well as research posts at UCL and other higher education institutions.
EmployabilityUCL Institute of Epidemiology and Health Care offers world-class education and training. It manages many of the UK’s largest, most comprehensive longitudinal datasets, and evaluates strategies for the prevention and treatment of physical and mental ill health. It carries out innovative work on behaviour change, on the practice of primary care, as well as leading applied health and health policy research.
Programme StructureResearch areas
- Health inequalities
- Life course influences and healthy ageing
- Quantitative research methods and medical and social statistics
- Dental public health
- Health behaviour research
- 24 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesPublic Health Human Medicine Health Sciences View 197 other PhDs in Health Sciences in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Candidates must have been awarded the University of London MBBS or a registered primary qualification in Medicine and be eligible for full registration or hold limited registration with the UK General Medical Council.
International24980 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24980 GBP per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA5365 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5365 GBP per year during 24 months.
- UK/EU: £2,685 (PT)
- Overseas: £12,470 (PT)
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
ESRC, MRC, MRC/ESRC, NIHR, Cancer Research UK, Diabetes UK, Wellcome Trust, European Union and British Heart Foundation studentships have been secured in prior years.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.