Recent graduates from the Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies programme from University College London (UCL) have gone on to work as lecturers or as assistant professors or working in cognate fields such as the publishing industry.
Academic research may be pursued in Golden Age literature and history, Anglo-Spanish political relations, the history of the Portuguese Empire, the novel of the restoration period in Spain, Brazilian literature, Peruvian poetry, Spanish film, Latin American film, travel writing, translation studies and latino studies.
Recent graduates have used their knowledge to work in the fields of research, curatorship, the BBC, the BFI, advertising and the film industry.
Students acquire a wide range of skills ranging from empirical research (manuscript and book based as well as online documents), advanced oral presentations and writing skills, data management, resource management and project management, advanced networking skills, intellectual independence and resourcefulness, all of which prepare our candidates effectively for their future careers.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureResearch areas
- Early Modern Spanish and Latin American literature, history and culture, including the Golden Age comedia
- Anglo-Spanish literary and political relations 1500–1640, especially translation
- 19th and 20th-century Spanish literature
- The novel of the restoration period in Spain
- Contemporary Spanish fiction/translation
- Spanish film
- 19th- and 20th-century scientific and literary travel writing in Latin America
- 19th- and 20th-century Spanish-American literature
- Spanish American essay writers
- Latin American film and documentary
- Latino studies
- Migration, mobility and space
- The history of the Portuguese Empire
- Brazilian literature
- Posthumanism in Latin American film, literature and art
- Comparative American literature and culture
- 36 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Languages View 107 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
- A minimum of an upper second-class UK Bachelor's degree in Spanish, Portuguese or Latin American Studies or a cognate area, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard.
International21580 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 21580 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
Overseas: £10,860 (PT)
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.