The doctoral program in Political Science – Political Theory Track at Central European University (CEU) has affiliations with both the joint Doctoral Program in Political Science and with CEU’s Doctoral Program in Philosophy. The track thus aims to bring the Department of Philosophy into closer cooperation with the Doctoral School in training doctoral students and also mentoring junior scholars. This cooperation expands the range of course offerings for PhD students with an interest in, on the one hand, moral and political philosophy, and, on the other hand, institutional political science, thus building up a critical mass of scholars working on topics related to political theory.
The Political Theory track is designed to attract scholars interested in normative questions that derive from moral philosophy, but which also refer to political institutions and practices, for example, how, and under what conditions, the claim of authority and the (monopoly over the) use of coercive force can be justified.
The track welcome applications of students with a research interest in normative questions of political theory, including the following topics:
- Democratic theory
- Political obligation and legitimacy
- Theories of justice
- Global and intergenerational justice
- Program approved and registered by the New York State Education Department
- Program registered as a non-degree post-graduate specialization program by the Hungarian Educational Authority (HEA)
- Program accredited by the Agency for Quality Assurance and Accreditation Austria (AQ-Austria)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Political Philosophy
- Democratic Theory
- Institutional Political Theory
- Domestic Politics in the Global Economy
- Political Economy of Regime Change
- Modern Political Thought
- Automated Text Analysis in Political Science
- Constituent Power
- Democratic Theory
- International Relations Theory
- Public Policy and Public Administration
- Security Theory and Practice
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPolitical Science View 5 other PhDs in Political Science in Austria
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed online application form: www.ceu.edu/apply
- Proof of English proficiency
- Letters of recommendation
- Master’s degree
- Academic records
- Research proposal
- Statement of purpose
- Outline of master’s thesis or other substantial academic work
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Candidates who apply by February 1, 2021 are automatically considered for CEU Doctoral Scholarship that includes a full tuition waiver and a monthly stipend.
Living costs for Vienna
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
In pursuit of its mission, CEU strives to attract world-class graduate talent from all over the world, offering generous scholarships available to students from any country. Doctoral scholarships include a full tuition waiver and a monthly stipend for living expenses.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.