The mission of the four-year doctoral degree study programme Digital Culture and Creative Industries (hereafter DCCI) is to prepare researchers for educational and cultural institutions that are focused on research into the implications of the proliferation of digital and networking technologies and their potential for creative usage in art, and also their application in the creative industries.
The Digital Culture and Creative Industries programme from Masaryk University is unique in the context of other arts sciences doctoral degree study programmes in the Czech Republic. This is the only programme that links together theory of art, social sciences, a technical knowledge of digital and networking technologies and research based on experimental testing of systems (artistic, cultural, technical). It has been established in response to labour market demand and the underdeveloped professional discourse in this area in the Czech (and Slovak) academic sphere.
Graduate employment means the professions and positions for which the graduate is to be educated and/or the types of employers for whom the graduate will be able to work. The employment of graduates can be viewed from the perspective of their end-of-studies abilities, language competences, career opportunities or a particular advantage in the context of other universities.
Graduates of the DCCI doctoral degree study programme can apply the acquired qualifications in research institutes and workplaces as university teachers, in particular, and in other positions. They are authorized to carry out independent academic and research activities in the field of basic and applied research. In a broader sense, they are able to perform any activity related to academic work, i.e. dealing with conceptual issues, academic and organizational activities and teaching.
Graduates will find employment in:
- academic and other institutions concerned with science, research, development and innovation;
- galleries, as exhibition curators and authors of exhibition concepts;
- museums and archives of new media arts, as experts in the new media arts and the possibilities of archiving and mediating it;
- dramaturgy, as dramaturges and directors of new media arts festivals;
- creative industries: especially in the field of game design and marketing;
- National institutions dealing with the policy of developing creative industries and innovations supported by the use of digital technologies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The concept of the study programme is based on the interconnection of theoretical research and creative practice (artistic, design, curatorial, production), conceived as a specific type of basic research, that is necessary for a deep understanding of the studied phenomena and critical reflection on them.
- Emphasis is placed on cooperation with the sphere in which the practices are applied (topics of dissertations take into account the current needs of subjects from the sphere of application) and on the international dimension of the study (study visits and internships abroad, presentations of academic and research outputs at international forums, special lectures by foreign experts, etc.).
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Visual Arts Digital Communication
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International2500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2500 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEA2500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2500 EUR per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Brno
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.