The Chemical Engineering program of the Nazarbayev University focuses on the development of an in-depth understanding of the nature, implementation, and evaluation of chemical engineering principles and applications, together with the growth of research skills. The current areas of research interest for the PhD in Chemical Engineering encompass a wide spectrum, with specific focus on priority areas for Kazakhstan, such as: energy generation, conversion and storage; environmental protection, remediation and resource efficiency; hydrocarbon processing; plastics production and processing; food processing; bioprocesses; red, green and white biotechnologies.
These areas are also aligned with well-known research priorities, such as: Leadership in Enabling and Industrial Technologies (Information and Communication Technologies; Nanotechnologies; Advanced Materials; Advanced Manufacturing and Processing); Environment, Future and Emerging Technologies; Health, demographic change and wellbeing (Improving diagnosis; Innovative treatments and technologies; Integrated, sustainable, citizen-centered care).
By the completion of the PhD program, students will be capable of designing and conducting independent, innovative, original and high-quality research related to a variety of topics in chemical engineering. In addition, program graduates will be prepared for working in industrial and academic environments in the positions of e.g. university faculty members, senior researchers, engineers, and product developers.
Program Learning Outcomes
On successful completion of the program, the students will be able to:
- Review, analyse, and evaluate the body of scientific literature in their field of study in Chemical Engineering;
- Select appropriate research topics in their field of study in Chemical Engineering, and generate hypotheses about such topics;
- Plan, develop, analyse and communicate research in writing and verbally independently;
- Make an original contribution to the knowledge in their area of specialization within Chemical Engineering;
- Judge technically and ethically and relate their research to the broader field of knowledge in their Chemical Engineering sub-discipline;
- Develop their academic/scholarly career through presentations, publications, and national and international networking;
- Research Methods & Ethics
- Thesis Research
- Advanced Chemical Reactions Engineering
- Current Research Literature
- Advanced Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics
- Advanced Heat and Mass Transfer
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesChemical Engineering Materials Science & Engineering Chemistry
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Nazarbayev University and/or in Kazakhstan, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- An undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent)
- A Master’s degree or equivalent
- During the application period final year students may submit official current transcript for consideration.
- A competitive CGPA in applicant’s Master’s (or equivalent) degree.
- High level of English proficiency
- Strong reading, analytical, and mathematical skills as demonstrated by GRE test (recommended);
- High motivation and strong interest in the Program as outlined in a statement of purpose;
- Relevant research interest and knowledge of research subject as demonstrated in a written research proposal;
- Two letters of recommendation (one from academic source).
International23500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23500 USD per year during 48 months.
National23500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23500 USD per year during 48 months.
KZT 10 011 000
Living costs for Nur-Sultan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.