The Physics program of the Nazarbayev University especially focuses on priority areas for Kazakhstan, serving as a foundation for future high-tech industries and knowledge-based economy. By the completion of the PhD program, students will be capable of designing and conducting independent, innovative, original and high quality research on a variety of topics in Physics as well as interdisciplinary topics. In addition, program graduates will be prepared for working in industrial and academic environments including positions of university faculty members, senior researchers, high-tech entrepreneurs, engineers, product developers and science & technology policy makers.
Students are required to complete 240 ECTS credits, in 4 years, which is in line with the Regulatory Framework for Graduate Programs and Courses of Nazarbayev University.
Career and Internship Support
Students will benefit from a number of contacts with the international scientific community as well as industry. Strong scientific ties have already been established with other outside bodies engaged in research. All students have the opportunity to take part in a 6 to 12 month internship at an international host research institution. The host supervisor and supervisory team at NU will maintain communication with the student throughout the student’s stay in order to make an efficient use of the host premises and facilities for the benefit of the PhD student.
Work permits for Kazakhstan
- If you are from Kazakhstan, you won't need to prepare and apply for a work permit.
- GA opportunities are available
- PhD students are not recommended to work, as they need to focus on their research
- Thesis Research
- Current Research Literature
- Classical Mechanics
- Quantum Mechanics
- Computational Modeling and Simulation
- Classical Electrodynamics
- Statistical Physics
- Advanced Mathematical Physics
- Lasers and Photonics
- Condensed Matter Physics
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
A preliminarily application deadline is July, 2022. Please contact the school for more information.
DisciplinesAerospace Engineering Physics Astronomy & Space Sciences
- An undergraduate degree and master’s degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline
- A minimum CGPA of 2.75 out of 4.00 in their highest degree
- The required level of English proficiency
- 2 letters of recommendation in English. One of the two recommendations must be written by an employer or research supervisor
- A statement of purpose not exceeding 500 words
- GRE – Recommended: Valid GRE Test Report (general test)
- Complete Application form for Ph.D in Physics program
- Official copy of Passport/national ID (with notarized English translation)
- Resume (up to two A4 pages)
- A statement of purpose not exceeding 500 words, explaining the motivation to enroll on the Ph.D in Physics, and the tentative choice of the research subject
- 2,350 - 11,750 USD per one academic year depending on a discount applied.
- Scholarships are available.
Living costs for Nur-Sultan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
The sources of funding can be:
- the state educational order;
- a specific scholarship and/or sponsorship;
- applicant’s own expense.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.