Life Sciences is a rapidly growing interdisciplinary area of sciences that aligns with priority science and technology needs for the Republic of Kazakhstan. The Ph.D. in Life Sciences will provide excellent instruction in core and elective subjects and will train modern high-quality life science experts which are in high demand for both existing as well as anticipated industries in Kazakhstan.
The program’s research focus in combination with pedagogical training that is in compliance with the Graduate Programs Framework of Nazarbayev University (NU) has the potential to attract regional and international students to the program.
The Life Sciences program from Nazarbayev University is unique in Kazakhstan because of its interdisciplinary focus and integrated research, communications and innovation approach. Starting from the first semester students interact closely with faculty and become members of a research team.
Guided by the supervisor who acts also as a research advisor, the student will be immersed in an educational, teaching, innovation and research program to gain expertise and skills to transform biological data into biological information and knowledge, and to facilitate organizational decision-making in technology and data-rich situations. Graduates of the program will be highly qualified life sciences professionals who are expected to enter careers in academia, education or research and development in the private industry or government organizations
Career and Internship Support
All students will have the opportunity to take part in a 6-12 months research internship at an international host research institution. The host supervisor and supervisory team at NU will maintain communication with the student throughout the student’s stay in order to make efficient use of the host premises and facilities for the benefit of the PhD student.
Students will be encouraged to attend Professional Development Workshops organized by CAC, SSH or the Department.
The students’ supervisor shall advise on research career options and facilitate conference attendance to present research results and enable networking
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Methods & Ethics
- Statistical Methods in Life Sciences
- Structural and Molecular Biology in Health and Disease
- Cellular Biophysics
- Applied Bioinformatics
- Synthetic Biology
- Drug Discovery and Design
- Hot Topics in Life Sciences
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesBiology Biotechnology Microbiology
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- an undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) and master’s degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline, to be determined by the Admissions Committee (Admission Committee is in charge to decide what discipline is relevant or not).
- a minimum CGPA of 2.75 out of 4.00 in their highest degree;
- The absolute minimum requirement for English language proficiency test reports
- an official electronic score report of a valid IELTS/TOEFL
- two confidential letters of recommendation in English
- a statement of purpose not exceeding 1000 words, explaining the motivation to enroll on the Ph.D program in Life Sciences, and the tentative choice of the research subject;
- valid GRE Test Report (general test). An applicant must indicate University as a recipient when registering for the test.
- The relevance of the academic and experiential background, and the equivalency and appropriateness of earlier degrees, will be determined by the Admissions Committee.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Tuition FeeVisit official programme website
Living costs for Nur-Sultan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.