The Transcultural German Studies program at The University of Arizona , a cooperative effort between the University of Arizona and two German partner Universities in Leipzig and Cologne, is a unique program designed especially to train students aspiring to pursue academic careers relating to national and international educational, cultural, and linguistic interests in the German-speaking countries, the United States of America, and in a great variety of Asian, African, Latin American, and European countries.
Graduates of this program will have a thorough grounding in cultural, literary, and language studies from interdisciplinary, transcultural perspectives. Students from each institution are required to spend one year, usually their second year of the overall program, at a transatlantic partner institution.
That is, most students beginning and ending the Ph.D. program in Arizona will spend the second year of their program in Leipzig or Cologne, taking courses that fulfill the joint requirements for the program.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Up to 12 units may be transferred from the M.A., including GER 579 or equivalent, but not 508.
- Students must take GER 508 and 579 (=6 units) in their first semester and undergo the Qualifying Exercise in 508.
- Students who specialize in Literature and Culture Studies as their major take 27 additional units of Literature/Culture course and 6 units of Applied Linguistics (=33 units) at the 500 level or above, including one Independent Study after the spending their second year in Germany.
- Students who specialize in Applied Linguistics as their major take 24 additional units of Applied Linguistics and 9 units of Literature/Culture (33 units) at the 500 level or above, including one Independent Study after spending their second year in Germany.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Languages View 41 other PhDs in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at The University of Arizona and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- minimum GPA 3.0 overall; 3.5 in German courses
- English proficiency exam for international students. See list of acceptable exams and scores here.
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose in German (1-2 pages)
- Audio recording in German - 3 minute short biography and 2 minute reading of literary text (not required for speakers of German as their first language)
- Official transcripts International Transcripts in languages other than English must be accompanied by certified translations
- C.V. or Lebenslauf
- Writing Sample either in German or English
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International34000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 34000 USD per year during 60 months.
National34000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 34000 USD per year during 60 months.
In-State14000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 USD per year during 60 months.
Living costs for Tucson
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.