Emphasizing a sociocultural perspective, the program nurtures innovative ways of knowing, methods of inquiry, and approaches to problem-solving. Students can choose to focus their studies in a variety of areas including:
- Bilingual Education & English Language Learners
- Children’s & Young Adult Literature in a Diverse World
- Diversity & Social Justice in Education
- Early Childhood Education: Family & Community Studies
- Environmental and Sustainability Education
- Indigenous Studies, Education, and Language
- Literacies for a Multilingual Multimodal World
- Mathematics & Science Education
- Teaching & Teacher Education for Social Justice
All areas highlight social justice, equity, and diversity in education. The Teaching, Learning, and Sociocultural Studies program from The University of Arizona serves students interested in research, teaching, and leadership positions upon graduation.
- Language and Culture in Education
- Reading and Writing in Bilingual and Second Language Settings
- Curriculum & Instruction in Bilingual & Second Language Settings
- Multicultural Literature and Literacy
- Issues in Language, Reading and Culture: Anthropology of Childhood
- Issues in Language, Reading and Culture: Language Socialization Across Cultures
- Immigration and Education
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Pedagogy Teaching View 61 other PhDs in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
- Earned master’s degree
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- Statement of aligned interests and goals with a demonstrated scholarly orientation.
- Official transcripts
- Curriculum Vitae
- Evidence of English Proficiency (International students)
- 3 letters of recommendation for scholarly work
- Evidence of scholarly aptitude.
1-3 years post-bacc practical experience relative to area of program interest (e.g., - teacher, education-related position in a relevant community organization, position in informal education setting, Peace Corp.
International34000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 34000 USD per year during 60 months.
National34000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 34000 USD per year during 60 months.
In-State14000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 USD per year during 60 months.
Living costs for Tucson
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.