Informed by your particular discipline, you’ll critically contextualise your work, clarifying both theoretical and practical research-based enquiries, and producing distinctive contributions to the research field.
You’ll be allocated two supervisors, with additional staff members available if necessary. Art and Design supervisors at Anglia Ruskin University are experienced in most areas of art and design, including: creative practices that crossover between art and design, graphic design and typography; interior design (with a special interest in the role of light); design and identity; and fashion and psychology.
At Cambridge School of Art, you’ll be part of a vibrant and growing community of researchers at PhD level. We have various research forums that accentuate the discursive and interdisciplinary nature of research, such as our close links with our University’s Faculty of Science and Technology, the Postgraduate Medical Institute, and local and national arts institutions and practitioners.
- At Cambridge School of Art, we combine the traditions of our past with the possibilities afforded by the latest technologies.
- Using our expertise and connections in Cambridge and beyond, we nurture creativity through experimentation and risk-taking to empower the makers and creators of the future.
- Our academics excel at both practice and theory, making a real impact in their chosen fields, whether they are curating exhibitions, designing book covers or photographing communities in Africa. They are also regularly published in catalogues, books, journals and conference papers, their research classed as being of ‘international standing’, with some elements ‘world-leading’, in the most recent Research Excellence Framework.
- 24 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts Interior Design View 25 other PhDs in Design in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You’ll need a Master degree or equivalent in a related subject area.
- Please note we consider most candidates for PhD with progression from MPhil. If you want to apply for direct entry to the PhD route, you’ll also need to provide academic justification for this with your application.
International13500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13500 GBP per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA2204 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2204 GBP per year during 24 months.
Part time fees:
- UK/EU: £2,130 per year
- NON-UK/EU: £6,300 per year
Living costs for Cambridge
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.