The Graduate Program of the University of Arizona Department of Astronomy and Steward Observatory trains students to become independent scientists with the knowledge and skills to conduct and communicate world-class astronomical research.
An Astronomy and Astrophysics program from University of Arizona signifies a student’s excellence in research, which is demonstrated through a significant, original, and scholarly contribution to astrophysical knowledge. We admit graduate students who have met high standards of achievement and shown potential for conducting original research, with the expectation that they will succeed in attaining a doctoral degree in astronomy and astrophysics.
The academic program is structured in support of this goal, emphasizing research throughout the graduate career; providing mentoring from individual advisors and our interactive community of students, postdocs, scientists, and faculty. Students will gain firsthand experience with the tools and facilities that define the state of the art in our field.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Physics of Astrophysics
- Stars and Planets
- Statistical and Computational Methods
- Structure & Dynamics of Galaxies
- Interstellar Medium & Star Formation
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPhysics Astronomy & Space Sciences View 13 other PhDs in Astronomy & Space Sciences in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- 3 letters of recommendation. Recommender name, title, and contact information including e-mail address required as part of the online application.
- Transcripts from all Colleges and Universities attended. Unofficial transcripts are required to be scanned and uploaded to the online application.
- Statement of Purpose uploaded to the online application. (Page Requirements: 1-2 pages)
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae uploaded to the online application.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International33600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33600 USD per year during 60 months.
National33600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33600 USD per year during 60 months.
In-State13400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13400 USD per year during 60 months.
Living costs for Tucson
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.