The Department of East Asian Studies offers two areas for Doctoral degrees. Candidates may focus on either China or Japan.
Information on requirements and procedures for admission at the East Asian Studies program from University of Arizona is available from the Graduate College and the department.
The department may admit a student with a B.A. directly into one of the Ph.D. programs if that student shows exceptional promise in his or her field and if there is strong backing from at least one faculty member. In such cases, the student is responsible for fulfilling all normal requirements for the appropriate M.A. program before beginning work for the Ph.D.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Chinese
- Literary Chinese
- Theories and Methods for the Study of Religion
- History of East Asian Buddhism
- East Asian Buddhism in Regional Perspective
- Topics in East Asian Buddhism
- Japanese Religions: Ancient
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies General Studies & Classics Linguistics View 11 other PhDs in General Studies & Classics in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- GPA 3.5
- English proficiency exam for international students. See list of acceptable exams and scores here.
- GRE (required of domestic applicants and applicants from English speaking countries, e.g. U.K., Canada, etc.)(not required for other international
- Two (2) letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose (Must specify the area you are applying for: Chinese Studies, Japanese Studies, and speciality (example: linguistics)
- Sample of written work (Ph.D. applicants only)
- Official sealed Transcripts
- Department Financial Aid Application
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International33600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33600 USD per year during 60 months.
National33600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33600 USD per year during 60 months.
In-State13400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13400 USD per year during 60 months.
Living costs for Tucson
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.