Graduates of the Gender and Women's Studies program from University of Arizona will produce original knowledge in the field from a foundation in diverse theories of gender, critical race theory, feminism and other social movements, history, literature, critical and cultural studies, and the relation of gender, race, ethnicity, sexuality, and transnational economic and political processes.
Through coursework and preparation for individually designed comprehensive exams, students gain understanding and skills in diverse approaches to feminist scholarship that enable them to design and complete their own innovative dissertation project.
The department has particular expertise in Chicana/Latina studies, LGBTQ/Sexuality Studies, transnationalism, and representation and culture and maintains methodologically diverse approaches to scholarship. Through its affiliation with the Southwest Institute for Research on Women the department also contributes to applied community-based research on women's and adolescent health, substance abuse treatment, women and incarceration, and projects related to border issues.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Feminist Theories
- History/Social Movements
- Women’s Studies
- Gender and Language in Japan
- Latina Feminisms in the Americas
- Human Sexuality in World History
- Chicana/o Literary & Historical Recovery Projects
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Gender & Sexuality Studies View 41 other PhDs in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Three Letters of Recommendation. The Department requires each applicant to have a minimum of 3 letters of recommendation submitted on their behalf.
- Statement of Purpose. Please provide a statement of up to 1000 words outlining your purpose in undertaking graduate study in Gender & Women’s Studies, and at the UA in particular, including your academic objectives, research interests, and career plans. Include information that documents your preparation for advanced study in this field, such as research projects, internships, or other relevant experiences.
- Personal Statement. Please write a statement of no more than 500 words that identifies the distinctive qualities, characteristics, and life experiences that contribute to your decision to pursue graduate education in Gender & Women’s Studies.
- Writing Sample. This may be a term paper, a published article or essay, or a substantive research report.
- Curriculum Vitae.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International33600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33600 USD per year during 60 months.
National33600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33600 USD per year during 60 months.
In-State13400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13400 USD per year during 60 months.
Living costs for Tucson
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.