With an Applied Physics program at Portland State University , you will have the time, faculty access, and research support to experiment and explore applications for your theories. You will also benefit from access to incredible support resources for professional development, including support for developing skills in classroom instruction and grant writing.
Physicists are employed by almost all industries, and a Ph.D. in Applied Physics from Portland State will provide you with the knowledge, skills, and experience you need to succeed no matter where your career takes you. Unlike traditional physics programs, studies in applied physics concentrate on the actual application of research to develop new technology and solve engineering problems in industry.
Many of our students who graduate with a Ph.D. in Applied Physics go on to work in technical industries, holding positions such as systems software engineer, applications developer, senior research scientist, and product design engineer. Recent graduates have been hired at Hitachi, Intel, Mantis-Sigma, Nike, Apple, ESI, Nanometrics, Molecular Vista, Greatbatch Medical.
A number of our Ph.D. graduates are also instructors or faculty at local schools, including Portland Community College, Portland State University, Clackamas Community College, and the University of Portland.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Electromagnetic Fields and Interactions
- Classical Mechanics
- Statistical Mechanics
- Experimental Methods in Applied Physics
- Cellular and Molecular Biophysics
- Alternative Energies
- Applied Optics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesPhysics Statistics View 32 other PhDs in Statistics in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- To be considered for regular admission, applicants must have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.75 or the equivalent (on the U.S. 4.0 scale) from the degree granting institution(s). Applicants who have earned 9 or more letter-graded graduate credits must have a minimum graduate GPA of 3.0 or the equivalent; this graduate GPA supersedes the undergraduate GPA.
- Copies of official degree certificate/diploma
- Certified translation of transcripts
- Financial documentation demonstrating adequate financial support for at least the first year of study
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International57348 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 708 USD per credit
National57348 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 708 USD per credit
In-State38718 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 478 USD per credit
Living costs for Portland
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.