The faculty also hosts four interdisciplinary research centres and one research institute: Ageing and Dementia Research Centre; Interdisciplinary Neuroscience Research Centre; Centre for Ecology, Environment and Sustainability and Institute for Studies in Landscape and Human Evolution.
Our close links to many local and national heritage sites and projects also make this an excellent place to undertake archaeological and anthropological research, and we support research in these fields that has an impact on modern forensic investigation. You could make a difference in the world of technology and have an impact on saving lives or rehabilitation, or work with our psychologists to improve every day life.
We work closely with colleagues from other faculties and specialisms across the university to deliver impactful and exciting research across a multitude of disciplines. Join the PhD - Faculty of Science & Technology at Bournemouth University to learn more.
Transferable skills and academia
A research degree can open new career opportunities in commercial research and development, consultancy, or could lead you to starting your own business.
You may alternatively consider a career in academia. You may wish to undertake research to contribute to your knowledge of a specialist subject, or develop your employability by enhancing your skills in project management and analysis.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- To be awarded a PhD, you will need to complete a complex and advanced project. You will be expected to critically investigate and evaluate an approved topic, which results in an original and independent contribution to knowledge, as well as to demonstrate an understanding of research methods appropriate to your chosen field.
- You will have to present and defend your thesis and/or practical element by viva voce (oral examination), to the satisfaction of the examiners.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
- 84 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesAnthropology Natural Sciences General Engineering & Technology View 31 other PhDs in Natural Sciences in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- We would normally expect you to have an Honours degree at Upper Second Class (2:1) and/or an appropriate Master's degree.
- Some supervisors may ask you for additional entry requirements such as relevant work experience, evidence of written work, or previous study of a particular subject.
- Entry requirements may vary so it is important to discuss your application in principle before submitting a formal application.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15000 GBP per year during 48 months.
National4395 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4395 GBP per year during 48 months.
- UK, ROI & CI: £4,395 per year (library-based and laboratory-based)
- Int'l: £15,000 per year (library-based) / £17,000 per year (laboratory-based)
- Part-time students: You will be charged a proportion of the full-time fee according to how much you study during the year.
Living costs for Bournemouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.