International postgraduates are welcome to do their doctoral studies at Vilnius Gediminas Technical University. A PhD programme corresponds to 4 years studies (full-time mode) and 6 years studies (part-time mode).
The History and Theory of Arts Phd programme from Vilnius Gediminas Technical University consists of:
- Independent research under supervision;
- Courses for PhD students (approximately 30 ECTS credits);
- Participation in research networks, including placements at other, primarily foreign, research institutions;
- Teaching or another form of knowledge dissemination, which is related to the PhD topic when possible;
- The completion of a PhD thesis.
The programme is designed to prepare scholars of a particular science field who would be able to demonstrate mastery of knowledge in a specific subject area and create new knowledge.
The Ph.D. is the highest degree awarded, and as such requires the highest level of proficiency and achievement, both in knowledge and in the performance of research presented in a written dissertation which also has to fulfill the stated requirements: it is expected to demonstrate candidate’s ability to engage in profound independent academic research, constitute an advance in scientific knowledge and it must satisfy formal criteria which are defined in regulations of the particular science field.
A doctoral degree may be awarded to a person who has successfully completed doctoral studies and defended a doctoral dissertation or it may be awarded to a person who has defended a doctoral dissertation externally.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureThe main scientific research areas involve:
- History and theory of architecture;
- Research and design of architectural and urban objects;
- Architectural and urban heritage;
- Problems of composition in architecture;
- Theory and politics of urban design, urban and regional planning;
- Research of urban complexes;
- Structural solutions of buildings;
- Acoustic properties and sound insulation of building and its elements;
- Industrial design products.
- 48 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Application Deadline: 1 July
- Courses for PhD students (approximately 30 ECTS credits)
DisciplinesVisual Arts Art History
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Apllication form;
- Certified copies of the Master’s degree diploma and its supplement with grades or a higher education equivalent to it;
- Evaluation of the gained education documents, recognized by the Centre for Quality Assessment in Higher Education in Lithuania or International Studies Centre of Vilnius Gediminas Technical University (in order to get a verification of higher education diploma, please contact International Studies Centre);
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Recommendation of the scientific supervisor of the dissertation topic;
- List of scientific publications and their copies or research proposal (if scientific publications are not included);
- Bank receipt or a transfer copy of the application fee;
- Copy of a personal data page of a passport or a copy of a personal ID;
- Other documents that an applicant wants to submit.
International10646 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10646 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEA10646 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10646 EUR per year during 48 months.
- Full time studies: 10 646,00 EUR
- Part time studies: 7 097,00 EUR
Living costs for Vilnius
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
The PhD studies can be financed by the state budget of the Republic of Lithuania, by the companies or enterprises financial resources or a PhD student‘s personal finances.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.