High-intensity pulsed electromagnetic fields (PEMF) can be used for contactless permeabilization of biological cell plasma membrane offering a high potential of applicability in drug delivery for the treatment of cancer. However, the phenomenon is poorly investigated and the exact mechanism of action is yet to be uncovered. Currently, there is an extreme lack of technological infrastructure to perform contactless PEMF-based permeabilization. The aim of this doctoral thesis is to develop a new high-power pulsed electromagnetic field system for contactless cell membrane permeabilization. The system will be based on arrays of SCR and IGBT switches for 8-12 kA pulse forming into predominantly inductive loads with predefined and programmable pulse parameters to generate up to 10 T magnetic fields. The new system will be designed for contactless treatment of 100–500 mm3 tumors in vivo and mL range volumes in vitro. The technological solutions for high dB/dt pulse forming will be proposed and implemented including transient process compensation circuits. The high-power applicators supporting the generation of magnetic fields up to 10 T will be developed and the structure will be optimized to ensure a homogeneous treatment in the described volume. Finally, the basic applied research of the developed technology to characterize the effectiveness of the new system compared to available generators will be performed. The research results and the new technology are expected to influence further development of the PEMF permeabilization field and create a technological basis for future in vivo and clinical applications.
The selected candidate will work on the PhD thesis under the supervision of professor Vitalij Novickij. The successful applicant will have to attend scientific conferences, meetings and internships at other universities.
Requirements• Required background: BEng, MSc Knowledge in Electronics and/or Electrical Engineering
It is a prerequisite for being present at and accessible to the institution daily.
For more informationShortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview. The position may not be opened if no qualified candidate is found. Additional information regarding the post may be obtained from prof. dr. Vitalij Novickij, e-mail: email@example.com
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Independent research under supervision;
- Courses for PhD students (approximately 30 ECTS credits);
- Participation in research networks, including placements at other, primarily foreign, research institutions;
- Teaching or another form of knowledge dissemination, which is related to the PhD topic when possible;
- The completion of a PhD thesis.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Courses for PhD students (approximately 30 ECTS credits)
DisciplinesElectrical Engineering Electronics & Embedded Technology View 4 other PhDs in Electrical Engineering in Lithuania
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any specific GRE, GMAT or GPA grading score requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Vilnius Gediminas Technical University and/or in Lithuania, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Postgraduate diploma (or higher)
- The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English.
- You must take verified copies of the entry qualification documents along with you when you finally go to the university.
- At least 2 reference(s) must be provided.
- Certified copies of the Master’s degree diploma and its supplement with grades or higher education equivalent to it;
- Curriculum Vitae (CV);
- List of scientific publications and their copies or research proposal (if scientific publications are not included);
- Copy of a personal data page of a passport or a copy of a personal ID;
Other documents that an applicant wants to submit.
- One of the following is accepted:
- FCE (First Certificate in English): A
- CAE (Certificate in Advanced English): C
- CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English): C
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign language) paper based: 510, internet based: 70, computer based: 180.
- B2 Certificate in English
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International11589 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11589 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEA11589 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11589 EUR per year during 48 months.
- part-time studies - 7,726 EUR
Living costs for Vilnius
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
The PhD studies can be financed by the companies or enterprises financial resources or a PhD student‘s personal finances.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
In order for us to give you accurate scholarship information, we ask that you please confirm a few details and create an account with us.
Below you will find PhD's scholarship opportunities for Development of shaped electromagnetic pulse generation systems for induction of a therapeutic effect (Electrical and Electronic.
You are eligible to apply for these scholarships but a selection process will still be applied by the provider.