Our Marketing subject research at Heriot-Watt University works with PhD scholars in the following areas: cultural heritage and tourism, sustainable consumption, consumer research and consumer psychology, digital marketing, and financial services marketing. This list is not exhaustive, however, and we would encourage students with excellent records of achievement (particularly self-funded) to contact us.
We are proud of our record in graduating PhD scholars who have contributed to important debates by producing research of a high international standard. Being part of a diverse School of Social Science gives our scholars access to supervision by experts in core marketing disciplines such as Psychology, Economics and Cultural Studies. This further enhances the quality of our scholars’ research and academic skills. As part of a University with campuses in Scotland, United Arab Emirates and Malaysia, we can also offer international opportunities, further enriching our scholars’ career prospects.
- Marketing Group research project 1: Considering the international response to climate change, consumer research is required upon which to base adaptation strategies, in addition to those aiming for mitigation.
- Marketing Group research project 2: There is a growing concern that online game gambling present significant potential harm for some individuals and society.
- Marketing Group research project 3: First Scottish University Credit Union (First Scottish) is about to receive regulatory approval to offer services to students and graduates. This PhD will utilise emergent Transformative Service (TS) Marketing Theory to explore to this context.
- Marketing Group research project 4: The existing literature on the measurement and management of quality in B2C (and to a large extent in B2B) predominantly on the dyadic relationship between buyer and seller (or buyer/seller and intermediary).
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesMarketing Public Relations Digital Marketing View 12 other PhDs in Marketing in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All applications will be reviewed within the relevant department with a shortlisting decision made based on qualifications, the research proposal and the availability of a supervisory team. Shortlisted applicants must have the equivalent of a 1st class honours undergraduate degree, or a Masters degree with an average mark of 65% or higher and a dissertation mark of 65% or higher.
The research proposal should contain as much as possible of the following:
- an introduction or outline of the proposed topic;
- a statement of objectives and/or specific research questions;
- a summary of some of the relevant literature which supports the research objective(s);
- an indication of the intended research methodology;
- an indication of the theoretical structure and/or conceptual outline;
- a provisional timetable of the major phases of the research process;
If you have references available these should be submitted with your application.
International15360 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15360 GBP per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA4380 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4380 GBP per year during 36 months.
- UK/EU: £2,190
- Overseas: £7,680
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.