About the Programme
We can offer expert supervision for projects involving English and the following languages:
Particular research strengths include:
- audio-visual translation
- cultural transfer
- comparative cultural studies
- translation during the Enlightenment and Romanticism
- translation theory
- translation of literary and philosophical texts
- translation between Asian (especially Chinese) and Western contexts
We also welcome projects in the broad areas of post-colonial studies and transcultural and transnational studies.
Assessment may be either through submission of a thesis (which should be not more than 100,000 for the case of PhD or 60,000 words in the case of MPhil), or through a combined extended translation and thesis option.
Recent theses include:
- Translating English-language Christian-themed fiction in Taiwan
- Non-localisation: a semiotic, economic and media investigation into Apple’s localisation strategy and its impact on Chinese translation traditions.
- Translating early Soviet fiction: the impact of source text foreignisation on translation theory and practice: a case study of Evgenii Zamiatin and Andrei Platonov.
- Supply-driven translation in a small nation context: Slovene literature in English 1991-2016.
- Balancing education, training and the market: a comparative analysis of current curricula for Master's programmes in translation between English and Chinese in China and the UK.
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
International applicants should apply as early as possible.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Translation & Interpreting Linguistics View 97 other PhDs in Language Studies in United Kingdom
- 2:1 (or international equivalent). We would usually expect you to hold, or be working towards, a masters degree in a relevant subject.
EU / International students:
- 2:1 (or international equivalent) We would usually expect you to hold, or be working towards, a masters degree in a relevant subject. Whilst no formal language qualifications are necessary, applicants would normally be expected to have the ability to translate proficiently between two languages, one of which must be English.
- IELTS: 7.0 (6.5 in each element)
International20000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20000 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4596 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4596 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Nottingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.