Institut Polytechnique de Paris offers 3-year multidisciplinary doctoral training in six research areas: Computing, Data and Artificial Intelligence; Information, Communications and Electronics; Economics, Management & Social Sciences; Physics; Biology & Chemistry; Mechanical & Energetic Engineering.
The doctoral research conducted within the Institute is based on 30 laboratories and takes place in a high-quality scientific environment. PhD students are offered the opportunity to conduct their PhD with companies with renowned R&D departments.
Institut Polytechnique de Paris also offers unique 5-year programs in Sciences and Engineering: PhD Tracks (combined Master and PhD). This selective, personalised course allows master’s students to gradually develop their thesis topic.
The doctoral school hosts around 900 doctoral students, supervised by more than 800 researchers (including 550 HDRs), in 30 research laboratories with strategic research partnership (CNRS, INRIA, CEA...), which offers a very important scientific strike force, demonstrated by their great national and international reputation and the high level of recognition achieved by the most eminent researchers.
In addition to the academic environment of excellence, PhD students also benefits from an important industrial connection (THALES, EDF, DANONE …), allowing the development of industrial partnerships in particular with R&D laboratories located around its campus in Saclay, one of the 8th leading innovation cluster in the world.
The Doctoral School is extremely open to international recruitment. Currently, foreign doctoral students represent 45% of PhD students.The PhD programs prepare students for successful scientific career opportunities (research, teaching, project management, etc.) in universities and the private sector.
Biology and Chemistry
- Cell biology
- Molecular and structural biology
- Computational chemistry
- Magnetic, spectroscopic and Optical properties
- Chemistry at the interfaces...
Computing, Data and Artificial Intelligence:
- Computer Science
- Signal and Image Processing
- Automatics and Robotics
Economics, Management, and Social Sciences
- Information and Communication Sciences
Information, Communications, Electronics:
- Information and Communications
- Electronics and Optoelectronics
- Mechanical and Energetic Engineering
- Environmental sciences
- Energy, processes
- Fluid and solid mechanics
- Engineering materials and structures
- aero- and hydrodynamics, acoustics.
- all physics domains (Optics, laser and plasma);
- Condensed Matter Physics
- Particle Physics;
- Quantum Physics
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Get into contact with a researcher/professor from one of the Institut Polytechnqiue de Paris laboratories, develop a PhD project in collaboration with him/her and discuss funding possibilities.
- Once a few compulsory documents have been collected (thesis project, CV, M2 grades, letter of support from the thesis supervisor), one must obtain the agreements from the director of the laboratory and the director of the doctoral school. Then the application can be deposited on ADUM website.
International380 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 380 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA380 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 380 EUR per year during 36 months.
PhD students are awarded research fellowships
Living costs for Palaiseau
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.