Applicants reading the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Education) at Nanyang Technological University will pursue an independent but supervised research in an approved field of advanced study based on which a thesis will be submitted.
A rigorous system is used to prepare the candidates into the research phase. In the initial stage of the PhD study, the candidates are required to pass a Qualifying Examination.
In the first 18 months of study, you will be required to complete the Qualifying Examination requirements as indicated in (i) and (ii) below:
- 4 graduate level courses chosen from the University's Master-degree coursework programmes or from approved special topic courses and
- obtain an overall average Grade B, and no course should have a Grade below C+
- SA830 Writing and Communication Skills for PhD Students
- The course is graded as a Pass/Fail and will appear in the student’s transcript.
- The course will not be counted towards the coursework requirements for graduation.
- 3MT Presentation
- Students must participate in a 3-minute thesis (3MT) presentation symposium before graduation. The 3MT symposia is co-organized by the Graduate Students Associate (GSA) and Graduate College (GC).
In the first 24 months of study, you will be required to complete the Qualifying Examination requirements as indicated in (i) and (ii) above.
Exemption of courses
Exemption of courses may be granted by the Dean if you are deemed to have already done sufficient coursework in the relevant area in a graduate level programme at a recognised university. You would have to complete a minimum of three courses after allowing for exemptions.
Areas of research include:
- Asian Languages and Cultures
- English Language and Literature
- Humanities and Social Studies Education
- Learning Sciences and Assessment
- Mathematics and Mathematics Education: Mathematics Education or Mathematics
- Natural Sciences and Science Education
- 60 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Philosophy & Ethics Educational Research
- A Bachelor's degree with honours at least at Second Class Upper level, Master's degree in the relevant areas and the ability to pursue research in the candidate's proposed field of advanced study.
- Shortlisted applicants will undergo an interview session as part of the selection process.
- A valid GRE score is required for applicants who are not graduates of the Autonomous Universities in Singapore. See detailed requirements for English language on competency and GRE requirements here.
International14544 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14544 USD per year during 60 months.
National6790 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6790 USD per year during 60 months.
- Singapore Citizen: S$9,150
- Singapore Permanent Resident S$12,800
- International Student S$19,600
- Non-Subsidised Fees S$38,850 / $42,300
Living costs for Singapore
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.