Sociology at Nanyang Technological University has a vibrant intellectual, research, and interdisciplinary environment. Graduate students are actively engaged in high profile research projects with faculty members and research clusters. Additionally, the programme offers a wide range of comprehensive funding opportunities and schemes for students to pursue their postgraduate work in a highly supportive and nurturing research environment in a world-class university.
Students are expected to develop a substantive competency in the fundamental areas of Sociology, as well as a deep proficiency in core areas of research interests across different research methodologies. Furthermore, students will gain exposure to teaching specialised Sociology and related modules. Exciting opportunities are also available for students to connect with NTU’s partner universities through our Summer/Winter programme as well as exchange and independent overseas research.
- Classical Sociological Theory and Research;
- Contemporary Sociological Theory and Research;
- Theory and Method in Social Research
- 24 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Deadline: 15th November for the Nanyang Research Scholarship (RSS) (same portal for self-financing students), and 30th November for the Nanyang President's Graduate Scholarship (NPGS).
- All applications recevied after 30 November will be processed for the January intake instead.
DisciplinesAnthropology Sociology View 3 other PhDs in Sociology in Singapore
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A good Master’s degree in sociology or a closely related field from a recognised university.
International14326 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14326 USD per year during 24 months.
National6698 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6698 USD per year during 24 months.
- Singapore Citizen: S$9,000
- Singapore Permanent Resident S$12,600
- International Student S$19,250
- NonSubsidised Fees S$35,850
Living costs for Singapore
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.