This 4-year Biochemical Engineering and Bioprocess Leadership programme at University College London (UCL) is a research degree, equivalent to a PhD, with an additional training element designed to develop sector-specific skills and prepare graduates for leadership positions within the bioindustry sector.
All projects are industry collaborative with a significant proportion of the researcher’s time being spent with the sponsoring company.
The EngD Centre research ranges from fundamental studies through to their translation and impact on clinical and commercial practice. Research is structured across five main areas:
- High throughput bioprocess design: the creation of single-use, automation and microfluidic technologies to give fundamental insights into bioprocess design and scale-up
- Industrial biotechnology: biocatalysis for the sustainable synthesis of chemicals and pharmaceuticals from renewable resources
- Macromolecular medicines: the manufacture of advanced biopharmaceutical therapies including antibodies, genes and recombinant vaccines
- Regenerative medicine: the translation of stem cell science into novel cell and tissue-based therapies
- Research Skills (Synthetic Biology or Modelling and Simulation streams)
- Transferable Skills in Bioprocess Research and Development (including Responsible Research and Innovation)
- Design of Experiments for Bioprocess Optimisation
- Biomolecular and Cellular Analysis
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Leadership View 10 other PhDs in Bio & Biomedical Engineering in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A minimum of an upper second-class UK Bachelor’s degree, or a UK Master's degree, in life or physical sciences or engineering, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard. Relevant industrial experience can also be considered.
- If your education has not been conducted in the English language, you will be expected to demonstrate evidence of an adequate level of English proficiency.
- The English language level for this programme is: Standard
International25960 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25960 GBP per year during 48 months.
National5690 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5690 GBP per year during 48 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.