Prospective PhD candidates are encouraged to explore the interests of our academic staff in more detail and should make informal contact with a potential supervisor before submitting a formal application.
The Classics and Ancient History programme from The University of Exeter is committed to ensuring you receive high quality research supervision to maximise your potential and prepare you for a rewarding career.
Postgraduate students have access to the wide range of support offered by our Career Zone. In addition, postgraduate research students can access our Postgraduate Researchers' Programme, which covers a range of topics to help you to succeed during your research degree and to act as a springboard for your research career.
Programme StructureThe Department of Classics and Ancient History currently hosts three research centres:
- Centre for Hellenistic and Romano-Greek Culture and Society Supported by a £1.25 million Leverhulme grant, the centre is rapidly becoming internationally recognised for the study of the history and culture of the post-classical Greek world.
- Centre for Connectivity in the Roman World The centre examines how connectivity contributed to the shaping of distinctive cultures, economies and societies spanning the breadth of the Roman world and its immediate neighbours, focusing on novel historical, archaeological and digital approaches to human mobility and material culture.
- Centre for Knowledge in Culture in Antiquity and Beyond
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Most subject areas do no have specific deadlines for applications, though the majority of students start in September.
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History General Studies & Classics View 88 other PhDs in History in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at The University of Exeter and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- The MA by Research is suited to dedicated students who are comfortable with independent research with a focused topic already in mind. Applicants should have a proven track-record of producing excellent research at undergraduate level, either in the form of an overall first class degree in Classics and Ancient History, or an upper-second class degree with a first-class dissertation (or equivalent).
- They should also obtain prior approval on a research proposal from their prospective supervisor in the department of Classics and Ancient History before submitting an application. Students should also have an undergraduate degree in Classics and Ancient History, or a cognate discipline e.g. Archaeology.
International19000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19000 GBP per year during 24 months.
National4596 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4596 GBP per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Exeter
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.