As the first doctorate of philosophy (Ph.D.) and one of three doctorates of education (Ed.D.) programs in developmental education in the country, the program fills a crucial need for innovative research in a field that serves students underprepared for postsecondary education by valuing social, cultural, and critical perspectives.
The doctoral program in developmental education prepares future scholars, researchers, leaders, administrators, instructors, and practitioners in the field of developmental education. Both rigorous and supportive, the program aims to advance theory, research, and practice in multiple areas of developmental education — including developmental literacy, developmental mathematics, and learning support — by actively engaging students in teaching, scholarship, and professional service. In this multidisciplinary program, the faculty, staff, and students work collaboratively across various academic disciplines, diverse communities, and geographic boundaries.
The Developmental Education (Developmental Literacy Concentration) program from Texas State University prepares graduates for a wide variety of careers. The Ph.D. is designed for students planning careers as researchers, faculty, and scholars who will build a strong research and theoretical base for developmental education.
The Ed.D. is designed for students planning careers as highly qualified program leaders, policymakers, researchers, and practitioners who will advance developmental education in a variety of contexts.
- Understanding Learners in Developmental Education Contexts
- Policy and Politics in Developmental Education
- Teaching and Learning in Developmental Education
- Diversity in P-16 Educational Contexts
- Managing Developmental Education Programs
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Educational Research Educational Psychology View 45 other PhDs in Educational Psychology in United States
- baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- master's degree from a regionally accredited university or demonstrated success in graduate-level studies or professional experience in a field relevant to developmental education*
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) in all completed graduate course work
- statement of purpose (approximately 500-1000 words)
- three letters of recommendation addressing your professional and academic background
- interviews with the admissions committee will be arranged (following the initial screening using the admissions criteria) for qualified applicants
International50490 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 765 USD per credit
National50490 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 765 USD per credit
In-State23562 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 357 USD per credit
Living costs for San Marcos
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.