The Film Studies programme from The University of Exeter are committed to ensuring you receive high quality research supervision to maximise your potential and prepare you for a rewarding career.Postgraduate students have access to the wide range of support offered by our Career Zone. In addition, postgraduate research students can access our Postgraduate Researchers' Programme, which covers a range of topics to help you to succeed during your research degree and to act as a springboard for your research career.
Our main areas of research specialism are:
- History and theory of American cinema
- War and visual media
- Film and television archives
- Queer film and television
- British and European cinemas
- Transnational and world cinemas (African, East Asian, Latin American and diasporic cinemas and filmmakers)
- Early and silent cinema
- British and American TV
- Film technologies and special effects
- Gender and sexuality
- Cinema audiences
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Most subject areas do no have specific deadlines for applications, though the majority of students start in September.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media Theatre & Dance View 24 other PhDs in Theatre & Dance in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Students applying to enter directly into the MPhil/PhD programme would normally be expected to have a Masters degree with Merit or equivalent in Film Studies, or other relevant qualifications such as a doctorate in another subject.
International19000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19000 GBP per year during 48 months.
National4596 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4596 GBP per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Exeter
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.