With over thirty members of faculty engaged in world-leading research and more than ninety research students currently enrolled, we offer a challenging but friendly and supportive environment in which to pursue your own research interests.
One of the advantages of an excellent all round department is that we can offer supervision across a wide range of subject areas at both our Streatham Campus in Exeter and in Cornwall, depending on the research interests of staff.\
All academic staff in the European Politics at The University of Exeter are active within at least one of these groups. Postgraduate students, whether working on their own or within larger projects led by staff members, are also integral members of clusters. Public Policy and Political Theory have journals associated with them and operate their own research seminars.
Below are some examples of initial jobs undertaken by Politics and International Relations postgraduates who studied with us in recent years.
Please note that, due to data protection, the job titles and organisations are listed independently and do not necessarily correspond.
- Assistant Professor
- Associate lecturer
- Associate Teaching and Research Assistant
- CEO Social Enterprise
- Chief Inspector (Operations)- Police Officer
Our research led teaching is organised in clusters of faculty with specialisms in:
- Comparative Political Behaviour & Institutions
- Public Policy
- International Studies
- Political Theory
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
Whilst we don’t have a formal deadline for application, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
DisciplinesInternational Relations European Studies Political Science View 43 other PhDs in Political Science in United Kingdom
- You should have a good first degree either in Politics or another subject that could prepare you for a research project within the Department.
- You should have a good first degree, and a Master's degree with Merit or equivalent either in Politics or another subject that could prepare you for a research project within the Department. We also consider applications from candidates who can demonstrate professional or other relevant experience that would make them suited to undertake an MPhil/PhD with us.
International18100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18100 GBP per year during 48 months.
National4500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4500 GBP per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Exeter
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.