Academics in the Strategy and Security programme at The University of Exeter carry out research, consultancy and teaching in the fields of global security and strategy, particularly relating to how individuals and organisations deal with conflict under intense pressure.
The Strategy and Security Institute is based in Knightley, a gracious detached period building on the edge of Exeter University’s beautiful Streatham Campus; it is building 55 on the Streatham Campus Map.
Knightley’s interior blends traditional relaxing comfort with contemporary meeting requirements, including state of the art AV equipment. It is the perfect venue for bespoke events: conferences, ‘away days’ or research workshops. The Board Room is ideal for lectures, seminars or discussion and the elegant Meeting Room suits smaller meetings or groups.
Our areas of research expertise in strategic decision-making include:
- The cognitive drivers of leaders' behaviour during international crises
- Rational choice and decision-making
- The psychology of coercion and deterrence
- The management and allocation of defence resources
- Military decision-making in history
- Classical theories of strategic choice
- The leadership and planning of complex modern military forces and operations
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Most subject areas do no have specific deadlines for applications, though the majority of students start in September.
DisciplinesStrategic Management Terrorism & Security Cyber Security View 7 other PhDs in Cyber Security in United Kingdom
- Our entry requirements vary by programme. Some programmes accept a wide variety of degree subjects whilst others expect you to have studied the subject already at first degree level. We usually require you to have, or expect to obtain, at least a British Second Class Honours degree or its international equivalent.
International19000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19000 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4596 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4596 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Exeter
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.