Call for applications is now open!
- Over 200 fully funded positions available
- Scholarship amount: € 18.854,52 gross per year
- Joint research activity with the non-academic sector
- Pre-PhD scholarships available for candidates admitted within the spring session
The training process is developed on two fronts. On the one hand, it comprises a teaching part, in which courses are taught traditionally and course load can be personalized on the basis of each student’s needs, such as to fill any scientific and cultural gaps.
Acquiring the mentality and methodologies required to foster innovation is a goal achievable by means of focused studies on process and products innovation.
In this Chemical Engineering programme from Politecnico di Torino, students are not only supervised by their tutor, but they have also the opportunity to engage in an exchange of ideas with other members of Academic Board.
Concerning the modalities of courses attendance, usually students shall acquire basic knowledge and competences during first year, while also deciding what will be their research topic, under their tutor’s supervision.
In second year they shall focus on research activity and taking part to specialized seminars. Between second and third year, a term is often spent abroad, studying and researching at other universities or research centres, in order to further develop their research.
PhD graduates in Chemical Engineering are professionals promoting innovation and research, they have an international-oriented frame of mind, characterized by an interdisciplinary approach and relevant competences in their research area.
Career opportunities foreseen for them are: researcher in national or international University or research centres; researcher in industry sector, especially in those companies focusing on development of process and products, environmental-friendly innovation, which are also compatible with resources, energy and environmental saving; employment in sectors where there is a demand for professionals specialized in the field of planning and management of industrial processes; employment in national or international institutes for supervision and management of research achievements and industrial, scientific resources.
Biological engineering and biorefinery
- Valorization of lignocellulosic or animal biomass by means of production of monomers or gaseous fuels
- Processing of organic wastes, modeling and scale-up of bioreactors, fermentation processes, isolation and culture of micro-organisms from environmental or food matrices
- Development of technologies exploiting renewable resources for the reduction of CO2 emissions and valorization
- Development of sustainable technologies for monitoring quality and safety of food products
Catalytic and electrochemical engineering
- Development of catalysts for the abatement of pollutants, exploitation/valorization/reuse of wastes, limitation of the environmental impact of production processes
- Development of catalysts for total oxidation of hydrocarbons, innovative schemes for fuel processors, electrocatalysts for PEMFC and DMFC and its modelling
- Development and investigation of electroche
Process control and multiscale modelling
- Process modelling, control and optimization
- Mulitscale modelling for materials science and process engineering
- Freeze-drying of pharmaceutical and food products
- Stabilization, formulation and crystallization of biopharmaceuticals, controlled drug release, continuous manufacturing
- Development of multifunctional therapeutic and diagnostic nanosystems
- Development of supercritical fluid processes with applications in the pharmaceutical, food, adsorption/separation and catalysis industries
- Textile engineering for the development of new materials, dyeing and novel treatment processes
- Advanced elements of chemical engineering
- Catalysis and biocatalysis: fundamentals and perspectives
- Electrochemical power sources
- Multiscale modelling and coarse-graining for flow and transport PDEs
- Photo-Electro-Catalytic Technologies for a Sustainable Chemical Industry & in-situ microscopy/spectroscopic to study new photo-electrocatalyst materials
- Principles of chemometrics: a multivariate approach for the analysis of experimental data
- Risk assessment as decision making tools
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Access to PhD courses in Italy can be only achieved by participating in the Calls for Application. At Politecnico di Torino, PhD candidates are admitted after the evaluation of academic qualifications and the following oral interview: as a matter of fact, your skills are evaluated by analyzing your academic and scientific curricula and by the mandatory interview with the Selection Committee.
- You can participate in the Call if you have a Master of Science or if you are planning to obtain such degree by 31st October. In addition, it is required an international certificate of English language (IELTS 5.0 or an equivalent one).
- The GRE General Test will not be required only for students who apply for a CSC scholarship.
Living costs for Turin
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
PhD scholarships can be with own research topic or with predefined research topic.
The gross annual amount of the scholarship is usually € 15,343.28, but the Politecnico di Torino has chosen to further enhance and promote the value of PhD programmes, increasing the amount of the scholarships to € 18.854,52.
All candidates compete for scholarships with own research topic, unless they explicitly waive their right to receive them.
The scholarships with predefined research topic are associated to particular research topics for which specific skills are required. Those applicants interested in one or more scholarships shall carefully verify which are the field of research and the competences required, as specified in the scholarship descriptive sheet and contact the relevant scientific referee.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.