Five top reasons why you should choose VGSF
Structured PhD program
The Finance programme of WU (Vienna University of Economics and Business) matches the US and international standard format: the first two years involve coursework to equip you with the tools necessary to conduct innovative research in finance and perform independent work on research projects.
This format provides you with solid foundations in the theory and empirical methods that are applied in finance to conduct your research.
Strong supervision and mentorship
You will receive continuous and extensive support by the faculty. VGSF has an open-door approach that intends to encourage dialogue and help you in choosing your supervisor(s).
Most students choose their supervisor(s) in their second year, after they explored different research areas and been fully acquainted with the faculty.
The VGSF faculty members are leading experts in their fields and collaborate regularly with renowned experts and academics who are often invited to VGSF as guest lecturers or for seminars.
The faculty works with students to achieve state-of-the-art research. VGSF wants you to focus on your research, for this reason only little teaching is required.
Top international placements
We have built a worldwide network with our graduates who hold positions in top academic and industry institutions like Chicago Booth, Bocconi University, and many more. Our students secured top-level jobs in excellent institutions after graduation and VGSF regularly invites them for seminars so that they can pass on their valuable experience and knowledge to the current students.
Fully-fundedYou do not need to find additional funding to subsidize you PhD, as you will be employed by one of the universities. We offer you competitive funding, which includes a monthly salary and subsidies to attend conferences. Your salary includes health insurance and you receive a net salary, entailing that you would not need to file your taxes.
- Quantitative Methods
- Financial Econometrics
- Corporate Finance
- Asset Pricing
- Continuous Time Finance
- Finance Paper Reading
- Successful completion of a master's program or an equivalent program at a postgraduate institution (according to § 64 (4) of the Universities Act 2002).
- Applicants who expect to finish their master's by the beginning of the PhD program (September) are also welcome to apply.
- Candidates should submit a Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) score that is no more than five years old.
- Candidates whose native language is not English are required to demonstrate their English proficiency by submitting a valid English test or by holding a degree from an institution where English is the language of instruction.
- Candidates are expected to submit two recommendation letters supporting your application to the program.
- Candidates should be strongly motivated to pursue a PhD program in finance. Such motivation will be assessed by your statement of purpose.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 60 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 60 months.
All students are fully funded on admission to the program.
Living costs for Vienna
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.