The Offshore Renewable Energy (Industrial Doctorate Centre) programme offered by The University of Edinburgh addresses future challenges to develop leading technologies and train the world-class scientists and engineers essential for the UK to sustain its global lead in the ORE sector. It takes an integrated approach to the whole ORE system from the wind and oceans to the end user, with experts from many disciplines contributing to a taught programme delivered in a research environment using state of the art facilities.
Strong engagement with industry allows us to train the next generation of researchers and innovators to develop and deliver the necessary new technologies, know-how and capacity. IDCORE delivers:
- A strong, focus on engineering, science and inter-disciplinary training to address the need to supply sustainable, affordable, and resilient energy contributing to industrial and economic growth while reducing carbon emissions.
- impact from excellent research in integrated vertical and cross-cutting inter-disciplinary themes from ocean to the end-user including: resource analysis; offshore energy generation and delivery technologies; data science and technology; materials science; marine science and environment; deployment and O&M strategies; autonomous technologies; bioenergy; energy storage; complementary energy vectors; energy policy; socio-economic impact; and blue-energy literacy
- training throughout the full life cycle of research by providing an academic and industrial environment, spanning theory to practice and including responsible research and innovation, ethical engineering, data management, commercialisation, entrepreneurship, leadership and societal engagement skills
IDCORE students will use world leading facilities across the consortium, including:
- FloWave Ocean Energy Research Facility
- the new FASTBLADE dynamic test facility
- Edinburgh Computing & Data Facility
- South West Mooring Test Facility
- Dynamic Marine Component Test Facility
- Kelvin Hydrodynamics Laboratory
- Power Networks Demonstration Centre
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
You will spend the first two terms attending an intensive programme of twelve taught courses delivered by internationally renowned academic staff from the partner universities.
- These first two semesters will provide you with the skills required to get started on your research and to succeed in an industry environment.
- Practical courses teach important laboratory and fieldwork skills, while an integrated group design project will help you develop teamworking skills and apply your knowledge.
- A guiding principle for the first year is that 'this should not feel like more of the same' – IDCORE is not simply MSc-type training preceding a research phase.
- This is achieved by focussing on assessment strategies appropriate to both the level of study and a cohort-based approach (for example timed, open-book, assignments are used in place of written, closed book exams).
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEnergy & Power Engineering General Engineering & Technology Sustainable Energy View 13 other PhDs in Energy & Power Engineering in United Kingdom
- A UK first class honours degree, or its international equivalent.
- We will also consider your application if you have a UK 2:1 honours degree and a MSc degree with distinction, or their international equivalents, and substantial relevant work experience.
- We expect you to have a good understanding of one or more branches of science or engineering and some relevant research experience.
International24700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24700 GBP per year during 48 months.
National4500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4500 GBP per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.