Students received advanced training in theory, contemporary research methods, research design and implementation, and proposal writing. After gaining foundational theoretical and topical knowledge relating to the field of anthropology in general and to their specific research foci in particular, students work intensively with faculty members to design and implement an advanced research project.
Our Anthropology program from University of Nevada, Las Vegas is explicitly cross-disciplinary, and students are encouraged to work with a variety of faculty members and to approach anthropology through a broad lens. Our program focuses on four broad areas: childhood and parenting; food, subsistence, and nutrition; human adaptive strategies; and sexuality, gender and identity.
- Develop a substantive knowledge of anthropological theory and information, including a thorough understanding a particular theoretical, topical and regional subject. Obtain mastery of a specific subject area.
- Be able to critically evaluate anthropological theories and arguments, and be able to construct sound anthropological interpretations.
- Be able to conceive of, implement, and complete original anthropological research that makes a substantive contribution to the discipline.
- Be able to excel in written and oral communication. Be able to make presentations to professional audiences, and understand how to successfully write grants and publish in the academic community.
- Obtain experience in the application of anthropological theory and methods, and gain leadership skills in carrying out anthropological projects independently.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Quantitative Methods in Anthropology
- Research Design, Professional Ethics, and Grant Writing for Anthropologists
- Core Concepts in Anthropology
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesAnthropology Sociology View 16 other PhDs in Anthropology in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Students entering with an approved M.A. will not be required to go through the department's M.A. program, but they may be required to take remedial courses in the case of deficiencies. A background in Anthropology is preferred among applicants.
- The applicant must have at least a 3.50 (A=4.00) grade point average for previous graduate work.
- The applicant must submit an example of their previous research, preferably a published paper; a copy of their thesis or a relevant research paper is also acceptable.
- The applicant must submit a detailed statement of intent (1-2 pages) outlining proposed research. In addition, the applicant must identify specific members of the faculty with whom they may wish to work.
- Three letters of recommendation must be provided attesting to the applicant's ability to conduct doctoral level work. At least two of the letters must be from academic references.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International23411 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23411 USD per year
National23411 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23411 USD per year
In-State6869 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6869 USD per year
Living costs for Las Vegas
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.