The Biological Sciences degree at University of Nevada, Las Vegas is research intensive and designed to prepare students for careers in academia, government, and industry as engaged scholars who are experts in their chosen field. Students must complete a minimum of 60 credit hours from a list of core and approved courses within their research section. They must engage in independent research that is novel and exciting culminating with a dissertation that makes an important contribution to their chosen field.
As such, it is expected that their dissertation work will be published in peer reviewed journals with the student listed as first author. Successful students are also trained and expected to develop as effective teachers and educators, and each student must serve as a teaching assistant for two semesters as part of the degree program.
All students graduating with a Ph.D. in Biological Sciences should be able to:
- Master a critical set of key concepts specific for each sectional concentration.
- Gain expertise with key methodologies and experimental techniques specific for each sectional concentration.
- Read, comprehend, and critically evaluate the current published scientific literature.
- Evaluate a scientific question and formulate testable hypotheses.
- Independently design experiments to effectively test hypotheses.
- Generate and collect reproducible data.
- Access up-to-date methods for analyzing and tabulating data.
- Communicate scientific results effectively in oral presentations to general and specialized audiences.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Molecular Biology
- Cell Physiology
- Microbial Ecology
- Bacterial Pathogenesis
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Microbiology Bioinformatics & Biostatistics View 48 other PhDs in Microbiology in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Admission is based on a combination of criteria that may differ from one year to another, however, most successful applicants have a minimum of a 3.0 undergraduate grade point average (junior and senior years). Students interested in enrolling in the Quantitative Biology and Bioinformatics (Subplan 5) must have taken two semester-long biology classes prior to admission.
- A completed Graduate College Application with Official transcripts and three Letters of Recommendation.
- A two-page personal statement describing why the applicant wishes to obtain a Ph.D. in biological sciences.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International23411 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23411 USD per year
National23411 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23411 USD per year
In-State6869 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6869 USD per year
Living costs for Las Vegas
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.