The Criminology and Criminal Justice program from University of Nevada, Las Vegas provides an interdisciplinary, research-oriented perspective for advanced understanding of the nature and causes of crime, consequences of crime and crime control, society's reaction to these phenomena, as well as the organizations that are designed to deter, apprehend, prosecute, punish, or reform criminal offenders.
Upon completing the program, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate advanced theoretical knowledge of the nature of crime, and understanding regarding patterns of criminal activity.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge and understanding of the law and the legal system, as well as decision-making in the criminal justice process, the social and political context of the legal system, important constitutional issues, and how criminal law differs from other forms of law.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge and understanding of criminal justice institutions and processes, and current criminal justice policy.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop a research question, conduct research using primary data collection, and employ appropriate research methods and statistical analysis techniques.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Proseminar in Criminal Justice
- Proseminar on Theory
- Proseminar on Research Methods
- Proseminar on Statistics
- Proseminar on Law and Social Control
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCriminal Law Criminology Criminal Justice View 3 other PhDs in Criminology in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with at least 18 credits of criminal justice-related courses
- A final minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale - competitive GPAs are expected to be 3.5 or higher
- Submission of Verbal, Quantitative, and Writing Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores - competitive minimum GRE scores are 153 for Quantitative Reasoning, 155 for Verbal Reasoning, and 4.5 for Analytical Writing
- Three letters of recommendation that address the applicant's character, work ethic, and potential to successfully complete a doctoral program - letters from faculty or academic supervisors are preferred
- One academic writing sample
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International23411 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23411 USD per year
National23411 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23411 USD per year
In-State6869 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6869 USD per year
Living costs for Las Vegas
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.