The traditional PhD in English from University of Nevada, Las Vegas focuses on literary study, although a concentration of six credits may be earned in composition studies. Each student chooses three areas in which to specialize: (1) a chronological period, (2) a literary genre, and (3) either an additional chronological period, a major author, or a special topic approved by the student’s advisory committee.
Coursework is devoted to developing a high degree of professional expertise in these three areas of specialization. Such knowledge is tested in a qualifying examination and is also the basis upon which the student writes a doctoral dissertation.
- Students will develop a capability for professional research, critical thinking, and publishable writing.
- Students will develop expertise in a chronological period, a literary genre, and an additional period, major author, or special topic.
- Students will demonstrate a reading knowledge of one foreign or computer language.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Creative Writing Workshop
- Independent Study
- Bibliography and Methods
- Survey of Literary Criticism and Theory
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 46 other PhDs in Language Studies in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- All applicants must possess a B.A. in English or a related field from a regionally accredited university.
- Applicants to the Post-Master's Literature subplan must possess an M.A. in English or a related field from a regionally accredited institution with at least 21 graduate credits and a graduate GPA of 3.50 or better.
- Applicants to the Creative Dissertation subplan may possess either an M.A. in English or a related field as stated above or an M.F.A. in Creative Writing from an accredited institution.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International23411 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23411 USD per year
National23411 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23411 USD per year
In-State6869 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6869 USD per year
Living costs for Las Vegas
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.