We offer you the opportunity to develop advanced research skills and to apply them to professional practice issues through independent research. You'll have opportunity to make a significant contribution to professional practice and to improve service delivery and performance within your employing organisation and across the wider professions.
The Health and Social Care programme at London South Bank University comprises of a taught component in your first and second year, and a doctoral research component in your third to fifth year. The research study will culminate in a doctoral thesis specific to a profession or in the general area of health and social care. It leads to one of the following awards:
- Doctorate in Health and Social Care
- Doctorate in Nursing
- Doctorate in Occupational Therapy
- Doctorate in Optometry
- Doctorate in Physiotherapy
- Doctorate in Radiography
- Doctorate in Midwifery
- Doctorate in Social Work
A professional doctorate is similar to a PhD in the sense that it allows you to carry out original research and contribute new knowledge. All doctoral graduates are considered experts in their field and can use the title ‘doctor’. The main difference between a PhD and a professional doctorate is that the research is rooted in the researcher’s professional practice.
Those exiting the course will have developed a range of advanced skills in evidence finding, critical appraisal, research design and conduct, and disseminating research.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research principles
- Practical issues in data collection
- Qualitative data analysis
- Quantitative data analysis
- Health and social care research contexts
- Research methodologies
- The doctoral research proposal and ethics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesSocial Work Public Health Health Sciences View 183 other PhDs in Health Sciences in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A recognised professional qualification which allows you to practise in one of the professions for which an award is specified: nursing, midwifery, social work, occupational therapy, optometry, physiotherapy, or radiography; or
- A health and social care profession which is recognised for registration with one of the health and social care professions councils in the UK [e.g. the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC); Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC); the General Medical Council (GMC); the General Optical Council (GOC)] and
- A Masters degree in a relevant discipline and at least three full years full-time experience (or equivalent) in a relevant professional area or
- A first or 2:1 Honours degree in a relevant discipline and evidence of ability to produce work at masters level and at least four years of full-time experience (or equivalent) in a relevant professional area
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International8555 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8555 GBP per year during 60 months.
National5655 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5655 GBP per year during 60 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
International undergraduate and postgraduate students scholarships:
- International Scholarships
- LSBU is offering scholarships and discounts to hundreds of students via our International Scholarships International Merit Scholarships
- We offer students pursuing undergraduate or postgraduate taught programmes with outstanding academic profiles a fee reduction of up to £4,000 on each full academic year's tuition fees.
- LSBU Loyalty Award
- We offer postgraduate Tuition Fee discounts for LSBU graduates progressing directly onto a postgraduate course and eligible alumni.
- ONCAMPUS London South Bank Merit Scholarship
- 25% fee reduction to ONCAMPUS London South Bank students progressing to university degree programmes.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.