Research students who study at London South Bank University become a vital part of our dynamic research culture and are one of the essential elements which make LSBU an exciting intellectual environment.
All research students are enrolled in the LSBU’s postgraduate Key Skills programme. In addition, you can undertake research methods training from relevant MA and MSc courses, as well as taking part in specialist events and activities, which ensure an inclusive and thriving research culture.
A PhD, by definition, is an original contribution to knowledge. A research degree is different from a taught course. Research students are expected to self-direct their learning with support from a supervisory team.
The School of Law and Social Sciences Graduate School provides a focal point for the management and support of our PhD and Professional Doctorate programmes.
We are University of the Year for Graduate Employment for the second year in a row - The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018, 2019.
At LSBU, we want to set you up for a successful career. During your studies – and for two years after you graduate – you’ll have access to our Employability Service, which includes:
- An online board where you can see a wide range of placements: part-time, full-time or voluntary. You can also drop in to see our Job Shop advisers, who are always available to help you take the next step in your search.
- Our Careers Gym offering group workshops on CVs, interview techniques and finding work experience, as well as regular presentations from employers across a range of sectors.
Our Student Enterprise team can also help you start your own business and develop valuable entrepreneurial skills.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Research areas related to law
- Access to justice
- Civil litigation
- Criminal law and evidence
- International criminal law
- International terrorism
- International law
- International commercial law
- International human rights
- Legal practice
- Human rights
- Family law
- Public law
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesCivil & Private Law Public Law Legal Studies View 17 other PhDs in Public Law in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- When applying for a Research Degree Programme at LSBU you are expected to have a 2.1 honours degree, and a relevant Postgraduate qualification at Masters level would be beneficial.
- If you have the equivalent of lower second class honours you would also need a Postgraduate qualification at Masters level.
- You will also be required to show proof of all of your qualifications. If English is not your first language you will be expected to prove your competency in English, showing an IELTS score of at least 7.0 at postgraduate level.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15400 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4670 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4670 GBP per year during 36 months.
- UK fee: £2335
- International fee: £7700
Distance learning fees
- UK fee: £2802
- International fee: £9240
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
International undergraduate and postgraduate students scholarships:
- International Scholarships
- LSBU is offering scholarships and discounts to hundreds of students via our International Scholarships International Merit Scholarships
- We offer students pursuing undergraduate or postgraduate taught programmes with outstanding academic profiles a fee reduction of up to £4,000 on each full academic year's tuition fees.
- LSBU Loyalty Award
- We offer postgraduate Tuition Fee discounts for LSBU graduates progressing directly onto a postgraduate course and eligible alumni.
- ONCAMPUS London South Bank Merit Scholarship
- 25% fee reduction to ONCAMPUS London South Bank students progressing to university degree programmes.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.