Theology and Religious Studies at Chester is an internationally renowned centre of excellence for Practical and Contextual Theology, with a longstanding track record of expertise in teaching, research and supervision at the interface of higher education and the faith communities.
From its foundation as a teacher training college in 1839, the University of Chester has placed a premium on work-related study and vocational training. With the establishment of professional doctorates across the University, beginning with the DProf in Practical Doctor of Professional Studies in Practical Theology in 2009, we continue to be committed to supporting students undertaking practice- and work-based research.
- Our course combines the flexibility of a portfolio approach, the freedom to research your own professional context, and the rigour of undertaking a doctoral course.
- You will work with a small cohort of students for the first half of the programme on modules that enable you to develop your research focus and advanced research skills.
- In the second half of the Professional Doctorate, you will work on your thesis with a supervisor.
- 36 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesHistory Religious Studies & Theology Christian Studies View 26 other PhDs in Religious Studies & Theology in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Master’s degree in Theology and Religious Studies or related discipline is required. Candidates not possessing a Master’s degree should have a 1st class or 2:1 honours Bachelor’s degree and give evidence of prior learning or experience equivalent to Master’s-level study. Applicants not meeting these requirements are considered on a case-by-case basis.
- A Master’s degree in Theology and Religious Studies or related discipline is required. Candidates not possessing a Master’s degree should have a 1st class or 2:1 honours Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, and give evidence of prior learning or experience equivalent to Master’s-level study.
International13031 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13031 GBP per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA4406 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4406 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Chester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.