The work presented for a PhD must be a substantial and original contribution to scholarship, demonstrating mastery of the subject of interest as well as an advance in that field of knowledge.
The Doctor of Philosophy at The University of Western Australia comprises an independent, supervised research project mutually agreed upon by a student, supervisor, head of school and the Board of the Graduate Research School. It may be undertaken in any school in the University. The PhD requires the development and implementation of a rigorous research plan, based on a comprehensive understanding of the relevant literature and the need for answers to questions posed in that literature or as the result of a new theory.
PhD graduates move into a wide range of careers, depending on their areas of research. The traditional pathways are to research and academic careers, but many graduates progress into other professional areas, including management. Because the PhD is a demonstration of a graduate's ability to conceptualise and implement an independent program of research, manage a project, organise resources, work with other people and communicate effectively in writing at a high level, it is a ticket to many destinations.
- For more information please visit the official website.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- By agreement with their supervisors, students may commence at any time throughout the year, except December.
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 24 other PhDs in Philosophy & Ethics in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
To be accepted an applicant must demonstrate that they have sufficient background and experience in independent supervised research to successfully complete a PhD. The normal requirement is for a bachelor's degree with at least upper second class honours in an appropriate discipline. However, applications are also considered from
- graduates of this University (or equivalent) who can satisfy the Board that they have had adequate research preparation since graduation;
- applicants who have previously undertaken work, which in the Board's opinion is of a sufficiently high standard, towards a research higher degree in this or another approved institution but have not submitted it for any degree and have had their research proposals approved by the Board; and
- applicants who have satisfactorily completed an acceptable preliminary program at this University or an approved institution and have had a research proposal approved by the Board.
International48000 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 192000 AUD for the full programme during 48 months.
Living costs for Perth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.