The EU grand strategy in a competitive system - European liberal democracy in a multipolar world program from GEM Stones will approach the concept of dissensus from an International Relations perspective. This IRP will shed new light on the global dimension of the dissensus and what it means for the EU's position on the global stage, its geopolitical calculations and foreign policy practices. It will seek to systematically scrutinise the nature of the dissensus facing the EU's external agenda. It will describe how alternative framings of good governance, the rule of law and individual rights championed by emerging authoritarian centres of gravity have altered EU foreign & diplomatic action.
The researcher should be in the first four years of their research careers at the time of recruitment and have not been awarded a doctoral degree so far.
GEM-DIAMOND’s overall research program will collectively tackle three shared knowledge gaps regarding contemporary strains on liberal democracy:
- Objective 1: Conceptualising the seemingly mounting dissensus surrounding liberal democracy.
- Objective 2: Unpacking the ambiguous role different actors can play as both champions and challengers of liberal democratic norms, values and practices.
- Objective 3: Assessing the impact of increased dissensus regarding liberal democracy on the policy instruments of the EU and its capacity to act in its internal and external policies.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
As part of their application, candidates will be asked to submit a personal interpretation of the research project in the form a specific project proposal of 2-3 pages, including a research question, a theoretical framework, a methodological strategy, and a justification for the suggested empirical choices.Candidates must apply through the GEM-DIAMOND online application system,which will request the following information:
- A personal profile form (incl. CV overview)
- A scientific profile form (incl. ESR’s expression of interest, statement of motivation and personal interpretation of the research project)
- A full academic CV
- An academic record with scan of the degree qualifications
- A proof of language proficiency
- 6Two academic recommendation letters
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 36 months.
4000€ Gross per month (48.000€ / year). This is a gross EU contribution to the salary cost of the researcher. The net salary will result from deducting all compulsory (employer/employee) social security contributions as well as direct taxes.
Living costs for Roma
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
This programme is taught in different countries. Which country are you interested in?
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.