The politics of the untidy right - illiberal democracy as a contagious concept program from GEM Stones will focus on political actors. This IRP will examine how populist radical right parties across Europe are challenging liberal democratic institutions.
It aims to uncover how the model of 'illiberal' democracy is being spread amongst these parties in Europe, with a specific focus on the role of cooperation between these parties. Empirically, the focus will be on the European Parliament and (online and offline) transnational networks.
The researcher should be in the first four years of their research careers at the time of recruitment and have not been awarded a doctoral degree so far.
GEM-DIAMOND’s overall research program will collectively tackle three shared knowledge gaps regarding contemporary strains on liberal democracy:
- Objective 1: Conceptualising the seemingly mounting dissensus surrounding liberal democracy.
- Objective 2: Unpacking the ambiguous role different actors can play as both champions and challengers of liberal democratic norms, values and practices.
- Objective 3: Assessing the impact of increased dissensus regarding liberal democracy on the policy instruments of the EU and its capacity to act in its internal and external policies.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
As part of their application, candidates will be asked to submit a personal interpretation of the research project in the form a specific project proposal of 2-3 pages, including a research question, a theoretical framework, a methodological strategy, and a justification for the suggested empirical choices.Candidates should:
- Have a strong research background (research master's degree or equivalent training)
- Have experience with executing research with the following methods of data collection and analysis: content analysis (qualitative and/or quantitative) and in-depth elite interviews
- Be proficient in at least two European languages, including English, in order to successfully employ these methods of data collection and analysis
- Be familiar with the literature on populist radical right parties
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 36 months.
4000€ Gross per month (48.000€ / year). This is a gross EU contribution to the salary cost of the researcher. The net salary will result from deducting all compulsory (employer/employee) social security contributions as well as direct taxes.
Living costs for Brussels
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
This programme is taught in different countries. Which country are you interested in?
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.