Doctoral training takes first and foremost place in the research group or laboratory via informal and formal meetings with the supervisor and peer researchers.
The aim of the Bioscience Engineering research-based training at KU Leuven is to train doctoral researchers both as future scientists and as scientifically trained professionals who will valorise their doctoral expertise and competences in a broad variety of professional environments.
Programme StructureThe doctoral training consists of three components:
- Development of essential research skills by carrying out an individual research project resulting in high-quality scientific output.
- Thematic training comprising advanced courses, invited lectures, journal clubs and doctoral seminars focused on a specific scientific topic;
- Training and development of personal skills that are relevant for the successful completion of the PhD and which prepare the PhD researcher for a wide range of career possibilities.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- To be admitted to the Doctor in Bioscience Engineering degree programme, the candidate must hold one of the following qualifications:
- a diploma of Bioscience Engineer in Agricultural Sciences, in Chemistry, in Land and Forestry Management, in Cell and Gene Technology or in Environmental Technology;
- a diploma of Agricultural Engineer or Engineer in Chemistry and Agro-industries;
- a diploma from a Master's programme organized or co-organized by the Faculty of Bioscience Engineering;
- a Master of Science diploma from a Belgian or an EU university totaling 4 or 5 years of undergraduate studies, if granted formal equivalence to a diploma Bioscience Engineer by the Doctoral Commission of the Faculty of Bioscience Engineering;
Living costs for Leuven
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.