Materials engineers invent, design, and select materials for products, processes, and services. They do this based on an in-depth understanding of the interrelationship between materials processing, generated internal material structures and resulting mechanical and physical properties.
Why Materials Engineering at KU Leuven?
- The Department of Materials Engineering (MTM) is a world player in design, characterisation, modelling and development of new materials. Close links with imec and KU Leuven's biomedical group strengthen the programme in addressing upcoming application domains. MTM is strongly involved in powder processing of metals and ceramics, including 3D printing.
- MTM is one of the few material departments where both structural composites and metals are strongly represented in both research and teaching.
- You mingle with fellow-students and assistants, (68% non-Belgian), lecturers (26% non-Belgian) from around the globe. In terms of outgoing mobility, participation in the Erasmus+ programme is encouraged for the Belgian students.
Prominent technical industries such as the automotive, aerospace, energy, microelectronics, and chemical industries and emerging sectors such as nanotechnology, biomaterials and recycling are keen to hire qualified and talented materials engineers. Materials engineers are prepared for work as:
- process engineers
- materials or product developers
- design specialists
- quality control engineers
Graduates with an interest in research can apply for an R&D position, or start a PhD. Some alumni have gone on with starting their own successful companies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureResearch Groups:
- Structural Composites and Alloys, Integrity and Nondestructive Testing (SCALINT)
- Sustainable Metals Processing and Recycling (SEMPER)
- Surface and Interface Engineered Materials (SIEM)
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The easiest way to start a PhD application is to find a vacant PhD position in Science, Engineering & Technology and apply online.
- In principle, the PhD positions on the KU Leuven jobsite already have financing available (via the corresponding supervisor). Please read through the details of the position very carefully and make sure you meet all eligibility criteria!
- Each position has a link at the bottom to apply online. You will be asked to fill in an online application ("esollicitatie"). All complete applications will be automatically submitted to the corresponding supervisor of the project for assessment. Possibly the corresponding supervisor will contact you to request additional information.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.