Fifteen teams perform research at an international level. Publication of research results in leading journals and attracting top-level scientists are priorities for the department.
New physics and innovation in the development of new techniques are important aspects of our mission. The interaction with industry (consulting, patents...) and society (science popularisation) are additional points of interest. Furthermore, the Physics and Astronomy department at KU Leuven is responsible for teaching basic physics courses in several study programmes.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Hard Condensed Matter
- Soft Condensed Matter and Biophysics
- Nuclear Physics
- Theoretical Physics
- Stellar Astrophysics
- (Astro)physics Education Research
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesPhysics Astronomy & Space Sciences Natural Sciences
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Either the candidate must hold a Flemish Master’s degree relevant to the doctoral research or an equivalent higher education degree, and also have obtained at least a distinction or have distinguished him/herself with high-quality scientific publications or design-oriented achievements,
- Or the candidate must have passed the predoctoral exam with the degree of distinction.
- The candidate must also have sufficiently mastered the language of the discipline in order to be able to participate actively in the research.
Living costs for Leuven
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.