Political science is one of the oldest social science disciplines. It examines how people in societies organized into states live together and resolve or fail to resolve their conflicts. Politics is the art of influencing others as well as arriving at consensus. It is a widespread phenomenon that one encounters at all levels of society (family, school, government, and the like) as well as between states.
The discipline of Political Science from Bilkent University which studies systematically the recurring patterns of events in politics, is divided into five subdisciplines: political theory, comparative politics, international relations, national (Turkish) politics and public administration.
A candidate for the Ph.D. degree must:
- Successfully complete the core curriculum for Ph.D. Degree at the Department of Political Science and Public Administration. There are two elective pools in the core curriculum.
- Successfully complete the course requirements for the Ph.D. degree by earning at least 24 credits in total including two restricted electives and one unrestricted elective courses with at least 3 credits.
- Show competence in the written and oral comprehensive examinations after completing all credit requirements and the seminar course in the curriculum. Students with a Master's degree must take the comprehensive exam within the first five semesters. Students without a Master's degree must take the comprehensive exam within the first seven semesters.
- Submit a detailed Ph.D. dissertation proposal within six months after successfully passing their comprehensive examinations.
- A paper based on the candidate's thesis must be accepted or published in a reputable journal before the dissertation can be defended.
- Submit and successfully defend a Ph.D. dissertation that represents an original contribution to knowledge in the field.
- Research Methods and Academic Publication Ethics
- Academic Practices
- Pre-Thesis Seminar
- Ph.D. Dissertation
- Research Methods Electives
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Successfully complete the course requirements for the Ph.D. degree by earning at least 24 credit units of course work is required.
DisciplinesInternational Relations Public Policy Political Science
- Submission of ALES (Akademik Personel ve Lisansüstü Eğitimi Giriş Sınavı/Academic Personnel and Postgraduate Education Entrance Exam) or GRE scores. GMAT scores are required for graduate programs in Business Administration.)
- Fluency in written and oral English. Please see the websites of each graduate school for the list of accepted tests.
- Official transcripts.
- Recommendations from instructors or others qualified to evaluate academic ability.
International14500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14500 USD per year during 24 months.
National6258 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6258 USD per year during 24 months.
14,500 USD for international students and 45.000 TL for Turkish students
Living costs for Taipei
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.